Thursday, June 13, 2013

Sources: Photos & How to Use Them

Digital cameras and having a camera in our phones have just made snapping and sharing a way of life for most of us. We post them on Pinterest, Instagram, Twitter & Facebook (to name just a few online share opps) and as viewers we are treated to almost every subject imaginable.

It stands to reason that photos are a very convenient and powerful source for letting our creative juices out for a whirl, and there are a lot of different ways that we can use them. Over the next few days I will be sharing some ideas on just that. Photos & How to Use Them.

Today I will be sharing the way I have been using for a number of years to take a photo and turn it into a pattern that I then stitch together using my own Fast-Piece Applique.
starting with a photo - here is one I took of a walkway in Glacier National Park.
I loved walking through the trees and the zig-zag of the path.
in order to see the lines more clearly I made a black & white print to work from
then using tracing paper I went over the main lines -
I eliminated details and sought only for the strong identifying shapes
for these would become fabric that would further tell my quilt-story

there are sometimes many sheets of tracing paper
and many different versions of what is selected - what is left out during this process
but once I have it completed I can enlarge it and use it as my  pattern
I have used this pattern many times --
having my choices of fabrics and embellishments change the time
of day conveyed on this walk thru the woods -- this is just 1 example
 
I hope you enjoyed this how-to.
There will be some others - so check back in...
Meantime,  you can start looking at your photos --
that one snapped yesterday or last year might just be the source for your next project.


I'm heading back to stitching.
~Rose



7 comments:

  1. Thanks for this handy tip on using photos. Will look forward to future posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. glad you like this Maree and will find it useful...thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  2. This was very useful, Rose. Beautiful work, thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. my pleasure Tracy, and thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  3. Oh thank you so much Rose for this posting and I too look forward to more

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks to you too Ellen for asking about photos at just the right time -- and leaving a comment, too!

      Delete