Yesterday the sun came out and it promised to be a glorious day, so Dave & I decided to take a drive to pick up my 12 x12 piece from Cedarhurst. The exhibit was wonderful.
The completed piece is pictured below, and is actually 3 layers. The first is the base quilted piece. The second is also a quilted piece but this one was wrapped around foam core board before it was mounted on the base. Lastly, the poppies were stitched separately then attached to the foam core mounted quilt.
With a pattern cut out of paper I cut and stacked:
1 - square of light weight batting
2 - squares of the prepared red fabric right sides together
lastly, I pinned the pattern in place
Next, at the sewing machine I stitched all the way around the edge of the paper pattern.
Once stitched, remove the paper.
trim along the edge of the circle; then clip the curves every 1/4"
Now, carefully cut a short slit in the top fabric about 1" long, and turn the circle right-side out.
With the circles made, go back to the sewing machine and using decorative thread stitch up some fun. ( a bead or two works great too)
It's another sunny day here in Kentucky so I'm off to get out and enjoy the day...