Friday, September 26, 2014

There's A Quilt In there Somewhere

possibly two or three...

This past week my sister has been visiting and I have been sharing some of my favorite places with her. One, last week was Garden of the Gods in Southern IL. It amazes me how the landscape can change so dramatically - seemingly out of nowhere.

Yesterday, we visited the Mineral Museum in Marion, KY. David & I found this during a hit the road, it's spring road trip our first year here and I've been taking people back there ever since. There we learned about local geology and discovered fluorite....

The museum is quite a treat, and my favorite room is literally in the dark where slices of these minerals are lit up. I'm thinking there is a quilt in these wonders...








what do you think?


6 comments:

  1. What a treasure you have found in that museum! I would love to visit it. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rose, if you liked that, check out the Thomas S. Warren Museum of Fluorescence:

    http://www.sterlinghillminingmuseum.org/warren/themedisplays.php

    Franklin and Sterling Hill, NJ are home to the largest known deposit of fluorescent minerals in the world. The mine is no longer worked, but the museum is awesome! Talk about quilt possibilities!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Thanks for sharing this Mary, and the link. At the museum in KY they also have a special theater where they share the fluorescent wonders with specimens from NJ. Now I know more about where.

      Delete
  3. I'm looking up Marion, Kentucky now to add it to a future trip. Would love to see it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you get as far as Marion, Paducah is just an hour away.... don't miss us, and holler out. If I'm around I am always up for a studio visit.

      Delete